Get in the Game for the Wendy's High School Heisman
Wendy's Kicks Off Its Application Phase for the 19th Annual High School Heisman Awards Honoring All-Star Scholar-Athletes
DUBLIN, Ohio, May 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Wendy's® announced today they are accepting applications for the annual Wendy's High School Heisman Award, a program honoring outstanding high school student-athletes for their commitment to academic achievement, community service involvement, and athletic prowess.
More than just a shining star on a college résumé, the Heisman mystique touches students at every level of the program. In addition to recognition at school and state levels, six female and six male national finalists will receive an all-expense paid trip to New York City to attend the Wendy's High School Heisman Awards Ceremony and college Heisman Memorial Trophy® Award presentation with their families in December 2012.
Beginning now through October 2, 2012, eligible* students can apply at www.WendysHeisman.com for a chance to win the Wendy's High School Heisman Award and the prestige of joining an ever-growing family of distinguished past winners. A partner award with college football's acclaimed Heisman Memorial Trophy, Wendy's High School Heisman has received more than 350,000 applications and honored more than 216 National Finalists and 36 National Winners since its inception.
High school students that will graduate in 2013 are eligible to apply until October 2 if they meet the following requirements:
- Have a cumulative high school grade point average (GPA) of a B (3.0) or better
- Participate in at least one of the following 27 eligible school-sponsored sports: Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Canoeing, Competitive Spirit/Cheerleading, Competitive Weight Lifting, Crew, Cross Country, Equestrian, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Ice Hockey, Judo, Lacrosse, Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming y Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo and Wrestling
- Be a leader in school and in the community and serve as a role model for underclassman
Each year, nearly 50,000 young male and female scholar-athletes from across the country who embody leadership, academic excellence and athletic skill in their schools and volunteerism in their communities apply for the Wendy's High School Heisman Award. These applicants are then narrowed down in four phases:
- School Winners Phase – One senior male and one senior female from every school will be selected as a "School Winner"
- State Finalists Phase – 20 finalists—10 senior males and 10 senior females—from every state and the District of Columbia will advance to "State Finalists"
- State Winners Phase – One senior male and one senior female from each state and the District of Columbia will be selected as "State Winners"
- National Finalist Phase – A judging panel will select "12 National Finalists" from the 102 State Winners
"I was thrilled to have made it so far in the competition," said Selena Pasadyn, the 2011 Wendy's High School Heisman female award winner and first in her class at Brunswick High School. "It's an honor to represent my community and to be part of such an exceptional group of people who I now call my Wendy's High School Heisman family."
The one male and one female Wendy's High School Heisman Award winners will earn $10,000 for their high school and a $500 Wendy's gift card. They will also be highlighted during ESPN®'s live national broadcast of the college Heisman Memorial Trophy Ceremony in early December 2012.
The WHSH is a joint program between Wendy's and the Heisman Memorial Trust, host of the College Heisman Memorial Trophy. The 2011 winners were Garrett Gosse of Las Vegas, NV, who plans to continue his athletic career and academic pursuits at college this fall; and Selena Pasadyn of Brunswick, OH, who plans to run cross country and track at Harvard University in the fall, majoring in biology or biochemistry on a pre-med track.
A complete list of past WHSH finalists and winners can be found by visiting www.WendysHeisman.com.
Eligible high school seniors, slated to graduate in 2013, may submit an application online through October 2, 2012. The first 25,000 students with completed applications will receive a Wendy's gift card valued at $10. From the completed applications, one male and one female winner will be chosen to receive the WHSH Award.
For more information, students can visit www.WendysHeisman.com, call (800) 205-6367 or contact their local high school principal, guidance counselor or athletic director. Participants can also "Like" Wendy's Heisman on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/WendysHighSchoolHeisman for additional program details.
About the Wendy's Company
Wendy's is one of the world's most successful restaurant companies with more than 6,600 restaurants worldwide. More information about The Wendy's Company is available at www.wendys.com, or www.aboutwendys.com.
Wendy's name and design, and the Wendy's High School Heisman name and design are trademarks of Oldemark LLC and are licensed to Wendy's International Inc. The Heisman Memorial Trophy, Heisman name and Heisman Trophy figure are registered trademarks of the Heisman Trophy Trust, used with permission.
SOURCE Wendy'sBack to top