Become an ultra-low-power expert and achieve ultimate power optimization with TI's new ULP Advisor™ software code analysis tool for MSP430™ microcontrollers
Another industry first, TI's ultra-low-power code analyzer flags inefficient code and empowers developers to optimize for greater MSP430 microcontroller design efficiency
DALLAS, May 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) announced another ultra-low-power industry first with the ULP Advisor software code analysis tool, teaching developers how to create the most energy-efficient, ultra-low-power applications with TI's MSP430 microcontrollers – and helping make the world greener one design at a time. Created by MSP430 microcontroller experts, the ULP Advisor tool is the first, true software-based, power-optimization teaching tool for microcontrollers that brings together decades of MSP430 microcontroller and ultra-low-power development experience. The ULP Advisor tool provides a static code analyzer that flags software code and offers ultra-low-power tips and tricks to help developers understand where to improve code, line by line, resulting in milliamps and nanoamps saved in designs for ultimate low-power performance. This hands-on teaching tool not only helps developers optimize current application code to achieve longer battery life, it also helps them avoid the same types of ultra-low-power pitfalls when designing future applications, making it an essential development tool for any MSP430-based project. For more information, visit www.ti.com/ulpadvisor-pr-lp.
"Developing the industry's lowest power microcontroller with the 'Wolverine' MSP430 microcontroller platform wasn't enough for us," said Emmanuel Sambuis, general manager, MSP430 microcontrollers, TI. "It's important to us to help guide those using our devices through ultra-low-power development and ensure they are equipped to develop the most power-efficient designs. Our robust software offering, including the ULP Advisor code analysis tool, is a very important piece of development. 'Those who can't do, teach,' is a popular, yet outdated adage. Today, TI is proving that those who can do, also teach and create a new generation of experts around them."
Features and benefits of ULP Advisor software code analysis tool:
- Checks code against a thorough specification list of "ultra-low-power best practices," flagging and itemizing each "ultra-low-power rule violation" via a graphical user interface.
- Highlights areas of improvement and provides comprehensive resources on how to optimize applications for ultra-low power.
- Interactive, community-focused wiki offers information specific to each ultra-low-power rule, code examples, videos, tutorials, links to relevant technical documentation and promotes collaboration between experts and beginners where anyone can contribute ultra-low-power insight.
- Free software tool that supports all MSP430 devices and applications – integrated into TI's Eclipse-based Code Composer Studio™ integrated development environment (IDE) v5 and included in the latest version of IAR Embedded Workbench.
Pricing and availability
ULP Advisor software is available today and is included in the latest install of Code Composer Studio IDE version 5.2. Download it here for free. The ULP Advisor tool joins the other helpful MSP430 microcontroller software tools, including Grace™ graphical peripheral configuration software and MSP430Ware, which can also be accessed through TI's Code Composer Studio IDE v5. Also available in the latest version of IAR Embedded Workbench for third party IDE support at www.ti.com/ulpadvisor-msp430ware-pr-sw. A standalone version is coming soon to support other compilers or IDEs such as open-source MSPGCC.
For more information:
- ULP Advisor wiki: www.ti.com/ulpadvisor-pr-lp
- ULP Advisor tool folder: http://www.ti.com/ulpadvisor-pr-sw
- MSP430Ware: www.ti.com/ulpadvisor-msp430ware-pr-sw
- Grace software platform: www.ti.com/ulpadvisor-grace-pr-lp
- MSP430 microcontrollers: www.ti.com/ulpadvisor-msp430-pr-lp
- "Wolverine" MSP430 microcontroller platform: www.ti.com/ulpadvisor-wolverine-pr-lp
- Code Composer Studio IDE: www.ti.com/ulpadvisor-ccstudio-pr-sw
- Make the Switch to TI microcontrollers: http://www.ti.com/make-the-switch
TI's broad portfolio of microcontrollers (MCUs) and software
From general purpose, ultra-low power MSP430™ MCUs, to Stellaris® Cortex™-M MCUs to real-time control C2000™ MCUs, and Hercules™ safety MCUs, TI offers the broadest range of microcontroller solutions. Designers can accelerate time to market by tapping into TI's complete software and hardware tools, extensive third-party offerings and technical support.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
MSP430, ULP Advisor, Grace and Code Composer Studio are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments IncorporatedBack to top