Broadcom Introduces Industry's First Set-Top Box Platform for Secure Convergence of Pay-TV and Open Internet Applications
Enables Operators to Offer New Web-based Applications while Protecting High Value Video Content
PHILADELPHIA, March 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- CableLabs Winter Conference
- Addresses pay-TV operator concerns for open Internet applications and malware threats on highly secure Hybrid Gateways
- Offers pay-TV users access to more apps and web-based TV experience
- Adds industry leading hardware security oversight to separate Internet services from premium broadcast content
- Protects critical core network functions from malware threats
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today introduced the BCM7435, the industry's first 40nm Dual Core Hybrid Gateway system-on-a-chip (SoC) with Web domain security. This new technology enables operators to securely deliver premium broadcast content converged with Web-based content and services to multiple screens in the connected home. For more news from Broadcom, visit our Newsroom.
The BCM7435, featured at the CableLabs Winter Conference this week, shows video broadcast content streaming simultaneously (with transcoding) wirelessly to multiple devices, while concurrently supporting secure web applications. This helps operators offer new, Web-based services while protecting high value broadcast content. With 7000 DMIPs dual-core/ quad thread application processing power, Broadcom's BCM7435 platform also features Integrated Quad Transcoding and MoCA 2.0 for a connected, Web-based TV experience.
- With the same footprint as the BCM7425 Dual Transcoding MoCA 2.0 Gateway platform, the BCM7435 expands gateway/client solution capabilities with the following key features:
- More than 200 Percent Higher Applications CPU performance: 7000 DMIPS Dual Core/ Quad Thread applications processor with Hardware Hypervisor supporting Multi-Processor and Multi-Operating System software platforms.
- CPU Core Web Domain Security: secures web browsers and app stores to be delivered together with premium broadcast content while protecting overall core functions and high value content.
- Quad Transcoding: four real-time HD Transcoding streams for expanded consumer electronics device support. Removes requirements for expensive external peripheral hardware.
- Expanded Video Capacity: supports security for up to 22 simultaneous video streams.
- 300 Percent Increase in 3D Graphics Performance: extreme performance for more advanced 3D user interfaces and gaming applications.
- 200 Percent Increase in Audio Processing: expands systems audio transcode supporting state-of-the-art audio formats, and multi-channel volume leveling.
- The BCM7435 shares the following features with the BCM7425:
- Connectivity: MoCA 2.0 support doubles throughput performance and capacity compared to previous generations.
- Low Power: adds critical power management capability for new energy efficiency requirements.
The Broadcom product mentioned above is now shipping.
Dan Marotta, Broadcom EVP and General Manager, Broadband Communications:
"Our latest design lets operators expand their video and web-based services to more devices without compromising the security of high-value content. The next revolution in digital living is content portability – enjoying premium video, Internet and Apps anywhere you choose, anytime."
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM BroadbandBack to top