Red Bull Music Academy New York Takes The Stage In Summer 2012
Location Announcement and Curated Summer Shows are Opening Act for Fall Music Series
NEW YORK, June 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The 15th edition of the Red Bull Music Academy is descending upon New York City from September 30th to November 2nd 2012. This fall, 60 carefully selected producers, vocalists, beatmakers, instrumentalists and DJs from 35 countries will set up shop and exchange musical visions with some of the very best trailblazers of today's musical landscape. Successful applicants will attend private lecture sessions and collaborate on music in an expansive, custom-built creative studio space in Chelsea that is being designed by acclaimed architect Jeffrey Inaba and outfitted with several recording studios and multi-purpose workspaces.
While creativity is being bred within the Red Bull Music Academy, all New Yorkers will have an opportunity to experience the power and enlightenment of some of the world's best music acts, across all genres. A series of ticketed and free shows will occur in various venues around town – NYC music festival style. The full schedule of signature concerts and club nights will be announced in late August.
Unable to contain our excitement, Red Bull Music Academy is bringing the beat all summer long:
- Co-curating the official after party for the Governors Ball Music Festival on June 23 with Nobody Beats the Drum, and Academy alumni Cubic Zirconia, XXXchange & Brenmar.
- Team-up with long-time Red Bull Music Academy affiliate Benji B of BBC Radio 1 fame for the NYC session of his London club night, Deviation, with Kode9 and Academy alum Lunice at Le Poisson Rouge on July 4.
- Screening of Red Bull Music Academy documentary on NYC hip-hop icons Mobb Deep, who are also former Academy lecturers at Brooklyn Hip Hop Festival on July 14.
- Central Park SummerStage presented by Giant Step and Red Bull Music Academy on July 22 featuring soul artists Bobby Womack and Willis Earl Beal, and DJing by Chairman Mao.
- Red Bull Music Academy's very own Central Park SummerStage on August 20, talent to be announced very soon.
- More NYC Festival involvement to come...
- 'Red Bull Music Academy Discotheque' stage at HARD Summer on August 3 & 4 in LA featuring the likes of Bootsy Collins, Chromeo, James Murphy and Academy graduates Lunice & Brenmar among many others.
- Recent curated Academy stages at world-renowned festivals: Movement Electronic Music Festival in Detroit, the venerable Montreux Jazz Festival, and the Sonar Festival in Barcelona, where a number of Academy alumni performed on their SonarDome stage.
All audio from the above performances and thousands more are available for streaming on www.rbmaradio.com.
More than 1,500 musical luminaries have participated in past incarnations of the Red Bull Music Academy. Former lecturers include Chuck D, Erykah Badu, Steve Reich, Sly & Robbie, Mark Ronson, M.I.A., Hot Chip, dubstep pioneers Skream and Benga, MF Doom, James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem, RZA, Gilberto Gil, CHIC's Nile Rodgers, El Guincho, and pioneering synth inventor Bob Moog, amongst others. Many Academy alumni have gone on to become true innovators of their scenes like LA soul singer Aloe Blacc ("I Need A Dollar"); experimental electronic music producer Flying Lotus, currently collaborating with Erykah Badu and Thom Yorke; Mr Hudson, a British R&B/pop artist signed to Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music label; and singer/songwriter Jamie Woon, who last year recorded a Mercury Prize Session, a celebration of the best live music in the UK.
The Red Bull Music Academy has been pairing industry legends and emerging music-makers since 1998 in cities such as Berlin, Seattle, Cape Town, Melbourne, Barcelona, Rome, Sao Paulo and London. This unique combination of old school knowledge and new school music is unrivaled for its creative exploration and achievement. Each Red Bull Music Academy leaves behind structures to inhibit musical collaboration and creative exchange for years to come. By the end of 2012, there will be eight fully functioning Red Bull Music Academy recording studios around the world.
This fall's roster of participants and line-up of events happening in NYC will be announced in the coming weeks. For more information on the Red Bull Music Academy and to access thousands of lecture videos, mixes, and exclusive tracks visit www.redbullmusicacademy.com.
Through the Red Bull network, hi-res video and still images are captured and made immediately available for editorial use for all media channels including television, film, print, mobile, and digital. The content is centrally located in the Red Bull Content Pool for media partners at www.redbullcontentpool.com
SOURCE Red Bull Music AcademyBack to top