New Controversial Video for British Hunger Striker in Dubai Exposes the Court Report that Should Have Secured his Release
LONDON and DUBAI, June 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
(Justice for My Dad Campaign)
Campaign members and supporters of British businessman Safi Qurashi have released a powerful 2-minute controversial video to draw attention to his suffering and illegal detention in Dubai Jail. The video exposes the Dubai court report which should have led to his immediate release. Also highlighted in the video is the overall Hunger Strike currently still underway in Dubai's central Jail involving about 20 inmates who are all protesting over being denied access to justice.
Qurashi has been on a Hunger Strike in Dubai Jail for over a month appealing against his 7 year sentence. He remains steadfast on continuing despite serious health concerns by his family. In a recent interview the family has shown extreme concern towards Qurashi's health which, due to the hunger strike, is deteriorating rapidly. Qurashi's diabetes has worsened and he is suffering from high blood pressure.
He is not alone in this fight for justice as the number of Hunger Strikers increase in Dubai Central Jail with the recent addition of Zack Shahin a U.S citizen who has been in jail for over 4 years without being convicted. The prisoners on Hunger Strike are calling for the UAE constitution to be upheld and a fair and legal trial to be granted.
Qurashi and many others have landed in Jail due to the Dubai bounced cheque law which incriminated them after court hearings lasting mere seconds, where evidence was not considered during the trial. The law which should have actually protected them sentenced them under the pretence of assuming their guilt instead of allowing them to prove their innocence.
What is unique in Qurashi's case is the finance audit report issued by the Dubai Court appointed experts in 2011 proving he does not owe the complainant any money. This should have, by default, dismissed the cheque fraud conviction against him. However despite his numerous appeals, he still remains in jail.
"We will not give up our struggle to get Safi Qurashi justice and have him released. Holding an innocent man in jail should be the concern of every individual in our modern society. That is why we are appealing to the entire World to watch this new official campaign video, sign our online petition to UK Foreign Secretary William Hague and join with us in getting our message heard until he is released and governments give priority to Human Rights over Trade Relations." said a close family member in UK.
Despite the UK Foreign Commonwealth Office sending an official diplomatic note to the UAE authorities in 2011 regarding Safi Qurashi there has been no further action taken by either authorities towards Qurashi's release.
"You may not be able to change the World but definitely your help can change my World" was the key message of Qurashi's 13 year old daughter in the campaign email sent with the Video link on 29th May 2012.
Whilst Qurashi's health continues to deteriorate, the number of campaign supporters continues to increase as the awareness of the risks related to the abuse of post dated and security cheques in Dubai rises, due to the efforts of the http://www.justiceformydad.com Campaign.
- Campaign Video Released on YouTube channel JusticeForMyDad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JOndzy4VYA)
- Two reports published by UAE court-appointed experts (on the request of the Judge); show that Safi Qurashi had actually paid the value of the 'bounced' cheques, NO MONEY IS OUTSTANDING.
- The Foreign and Commonwealth office requested that an Emirati lawyer state that 'due process' was not followed at the trials in writing. His Emirati Lawyer, Isa Bin Haider, has provided this statement back in August 2011. A diplomatic note was sent by the British Government to the UAE Authorities, however no further action has been taken by either the British or UAE Government's
- Fair Trials International in the UK is calling for his release because he was not given a fair trial.
- Mr Tarique Ghaffur, former Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner conducted an independent investigation that shows how Safi Qurashi was the victim of 'a series of miscarriages of justice' and stood little chance of ever proving his innocence
- For more information email email@example.com
SOURCE Justice For My DadBack to top