TI introduces ultra-small boost power module for smartphones and tablets
Highly integrated 600-mA MicroSiP™ power module achieves 9-mm2 solution size, extends battery life
DALLAS, July 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the industry's smallest integrated step-up (boost) DC/DC power module for smartphones, tablets and other portable electronics. The new, efficient TPS81256 MicroSiP™ converter integrates the inductor and input/output capacitors to achieve a solution less than 9-mm2 and sub-1 mm height, simplifying design and saving up to 50-percent more board space versus competing solutions. For more information, samples and evaluation module, visit: www.ti.com/tps81256-pr.
Smallest integrated boost converter
Smartphone and tablet designers continue to require smaller point-of-load converters, while maintaining long battery run-time with high power conversion efficiency. The 4-MHz, 600-mA TPS81256 module supports a 5-V output with a power density of 400 mW/mm3. The device extends battery life by reducing the supply current to 43 uA during light load operation. The TPS81256 also achieves power efficiency of greater than 90 percent from an input voltage of 2.5 V to 5.5 V, enabling it to efficiently manage 3 W over a full Li-Ion battery voltage range.
Key features and benefits of the TPS81256:
- Smallest solution size: Achieves a solution less than 9 mm2 and profile less than 1-mm tall, providing a power density of 400 mW/mm3.
- Simplifies design: High integration, including passives and capacitors, significantly reduces hardware design and layout effort.
- High performance: Up to 91-percent peak efficiency, and high efficiency over a wide load range.
Broadest range of point-of-load solutions
TI offers the broadest range of power management integrated circuits (ICs) and modules for point-of-load designs, including step-up and step-down converters for portable and line-powered systems. These range from ultra-low power DC/DC converters with and without integrated FETs to fully integrated power solutions, such as the TPS81K, TPS82K, TPS84K and SIMPLE SWITCHER® modules.
Availability and pricing
The TPS81256 is available now in a 9-bump, 2.6-mm x 2.9-mm x 1-mm MicroSiP package suited for automated assembly by standard surface mount equipment, and is priced at $1.70 in quantities of 1,000. Designers can order the new TPS81256EVM-121 evaluation module to help speed time to market.
Find out more about TI's power module portfolio:
- Review TI's TPS82K step-down integrated power modules for portable electronics: www.ti.com/tps82-pr.
- Check out SIMPLE SWITCHER power modules: www.ti.com/switcher.
- Ask questions and help solve problems in the Power Forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/powerforum-pr.
- Download TI's new 2012 Power Management Selection Guide: www.ti.com/powerguide-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
SIMPLE SWITCHER is a registered trademark, and MicroSiP and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments IncorporatedBack to top