West Clinic Presents Research Findings at 2012 Annual American Society for Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Meeting
MEMPHIS, Tenn., May 30, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The West Clinic, the Mid-South's premier cancer center and world-class center of excellence in medical oncology, hematology, oncologic imaging, breast surgery, clinical research and other advanced medical care, announced today six of its physician-researchers will participate in over a dozen presentations at the 48th Annual American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Meeting, the premier international scientific oncology conference, at the McCormick Palace in Chicago, Ill, June 1-5. The international event features the latest research breakthroughs from around the world.
The West Clinic's findings, focusing on leading-edge treatments for breast, lung, leukemia, sarcoma, melanoma, and gynecologic tumors were selected by a highly competitive peer-review process.
"The West Clinic's noteworthy presence at ASCO this year further demonstrates our commitment and leadership role in cancer research," according to Lee S. Schwartzberg, MD, Medical Director and Research Director, The West Clinic; Chief, Division of Hematology/Oncology and Professor of Medicine, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, and President, ACORN Research. "We believe in the power of clinical research and the tremendous impact it has on current and future generations of cancer patients."
"This year's meeting theme-Collaborating to Conquer Cancer-parallels our vision to expand West Clinic's research capabilities with the building of a Phase I clinical trials program under the direction of Daruka Mahadevan, MD, PhD. Our unique collaboration with the University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Methodist Healthcare, and researchers nationwide through ACORN Research further positions us as an innovative leader in cancer research as we explore new cancer-fighting therapies and save more lives."
"We are pleased to recognize Dr. Obiageli Ogbata, a first year Fellow with the University of Tennessee Health Science Center, who will receive ASCO's 2012 Young Investigator Award. Dr. Ogbata is also presenting a poster discussion on non small cell lung cancer."
The West Clinic Research at ASCO
The following West Clinic physicians contributed to ASCO presentations:
1. Dr. Lee S. Schwartzberg: Phase II study of pemetrexed (P) plus carboplatin (Cb) or cisplatin (C) with concurrent radiation therapy followed by pemetrexed consolidation in patients (pts) with favorable-prognosis inoperable stage IIIA/B non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_114_92344.html
2. Dr. Lee S. Schwartzberg: Open-label phase III randomized controlled trial comparing taxane-based chemotherapy (Tax) with lapatinib (L) or trastuzumab (T) as first-line therapy for women with HER2+ metastatic breast cancer: Interim analysis (IA) of NCIC CTG MA.31/GSK EGF 108919. http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_114_102986.html
3. Dr. Lee S. Schwartzberg: SELECT: Randomized phase III study of docetaxel (D) or pemetrexed (P) with or without cetuximab (C) in recurrent or progressive non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) after platinum-based therapy. http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_114_92436.html
POSTER DISCUSSION SESSIONS
4. Dr. Todd D. Tillmanns: Phase I trial of metronomic oral topotecan in combination with pazopanib utilizing a daily dosing schedule to treat recurrent or persistent gynecologic tumors. http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_114_93930.html
5. Dr. Lee S. Schwartzberg: Tesetaxel: Activity of an oral taxane as first-line treatment in metastatic breast cancer. http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_114_95157.html
6. Dr. Daruka Mahadevan: Phase Ib trial of AVL-292, a covalent inhibitor of Bruton's tyrosine kinase (Btk), in chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) and B-non-Hodgkin lymphoma (B-NHL). http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_114_98841.html
7. Dr. Daruka Mahadevan: First-in-human phase I study: Results of a second-generation non-ansamycin heat shock protein 90 (HSP90) inhibitor AT13387 in refractory solid tumors. http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_114_98734.html
8. Dr. Obiageli Ogbata: Prognostic impact of the number of examined lymph nodes (LNs) in resected node negative (pNo) non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_114_100970.html
GENERAL POSTER SESSIONS
9. Dr. Michael G. Martin,: Phase IB study of an all-oral chemotherapy regimen, tesetaxel plus capecitabine, in patients with advanced solid tumors. http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_114_96726.html
10. Dr. G. Gary Tian: A phase Ib/II study evaluating the efficacy of doxorubicin (D) with or without a human anti-PDGFR-alpha monoclonal antibody olaratumab (IMC-3G3) in the treatment of advanced soft tissue sarcoma (STS). http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_114_96389.html
11. Dr. Jason C. Chandler: IBL2001: Phase (ph) I/II study of a novel dose-dense (dd) schedule of indibulin for the treatment of metastastic breast cancer. http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_114_94358.html
12. Dr. Lee S. Schwartzberg: Patient-specific immunotherapy utilizing putative tumor stem cells in patients with metastatic melanoma: A pooled analysis comparing tumor cell and dendritic cell vaccines in two phase II trials and a randomized phase II trial. http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_114_96780.html
13. Dr. Jessica Snider: Neoadjuvant bevacizumab with weekly nab-paclitaxel plus carboplatin followed by doxorubicin plus cyclophosphamide (AC) for triple-negative breast cancer. http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_114_95806.html
About The West Clinic
The West Clinic has been the Mid-South's premier provider of cancer care for over 33 years. With a team second to none in breadth of expertise, dedication to excellence, and compassionate care, our multidisciplinary physician group is comprised of 30 specialists in Medical Oncology, Hematology, Gynecologic Oncology, Breast Surgery, Endocrinology, Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Pain and Palliative Care, and other advanced medical care. With eight locations in Memphis, West TN, and North MS, patients across the Mid-South have greater access to the highest quality care available.
The West Clinic's clinical research program, under the direction of Lee S. Schwartzberg, MD, FACP, Medical Director, is internationally renowned. Over the past two decades, West Clinic has consistently been one of the first centers in the US to gain experience and hasten the development of new drugs for breast cancer, colon cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, lymphoma, and many other diseases.
In 2012, The West Clinic formed a partnership with Methodist Healthcare and the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) in order to transform cancer care in the Mid-South. This novel partnership takes advantage of the strengths and culture of all three partners that are leading to the development of a fully integrated cancer program which will expand our collaborative efforts in cancer research and education along with a vision toward personalized precision cancer care.
WEST CLINIC EXPERTS AVAILABLE TO COMMENT ON LATEST ASCO REPORTS. West Clinic physicians will be available to comment on major ASCO reports throughout the meeting. For additional information, please contact Deborah Coble, Office: 901-683-0055 x 1312; cell: 901-831-1010 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director, Corporate Communications
SOURCE The West ClinicBack to top