Winners of The 2012 Vimeo Awards Revealed in New York City
The 2012 Vimeo Festival + Awards Kick Off with Groundbreaking Awards Show
NEW YORK, June 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Vimeo®, an operating business of IAC [NASDAQ: IACI], has announced the winners of the 2012 Vimeo Awards, which celebrate the world's most creative film and video. This year, the Awards received 14,567 entries from 147 countries around the world. Vimeo will make grants of $5,000 to each of the 13 category winners. The Grand Prize winner, directing collective Everynone, will receive an additional $25,000 for its film, "Symmetry."
"The quality of this year's entries was phenomenal," said Jeremy Boxer, Festival Director for the Vimeo Festival + Awards. "It wasn't easy for the judges to choose the winners, but we are excited to see Everynone receive our Grand Prize. The filmmaking collective consistently creates incredibly strong, fresh work. 'Symmetry' is a sensational piece and the absolute embodiment of what we're celebrating at this event. We can't wait to see what they do with the grant!"
Vimeo presented the awards last night, June 7th, in New York City with a one-of-a kind sound and motion-responsive, projection-mapped awards show set designed by arts and technology collective seeper. Live performers Reggie Watts and Beardyman used their comedy and musical acts in combination with the set's innovative technology to bring the show to life https://vimeo.com/43564817.
The 2012 Vimeo Awards category winners are:
- Action Sports: Dark Side of the Lens
- Advertising: K-Swiss Kenny Powers - MFCEO
- Animation: Umbra
- Captured: Sweatshoppe Video Painting Europe
- Documentary: Amar (All Great Achievements Require Time)
- Experimental: Prie Dieu
- Fashion: Skirt
- Lyrical: Symmetry
- Motion Graphics: A History of the Title Sequence
- Music Video: Manchester Orchestra: Simple Math
- Narrative: BLINKY™
- Series: Often Awesome The Series
- Remix: Rear Window Timelapse
The winners were selected by panels of three judges per category. Judges included actor and director James Franco; Parks and Recreation star Aziz Ansari; 2012 Oscar Nominee Lucy Walker; Radiohead's Colin Greenwood; Scott Pilgrim vs. the World director Edgar Wright; snowboard superstar Travis Rice; Thierry Mugler and UNIQLO creative director Nicola Formichetti; Shelley Page of DreamWorks Animation; Barbara London of The Museum of Modern Art; advertising legend David Droga; and many more.
Grand Prize Winner:
Filmmaking team Everynone submitted the winning film, "Symmetry," to the Lyrical category, which is new this year. The Lyrical category was created to showcase creative videos of the natural world or personal experiences.
"Having the opportunity to judge both the documentary category and the Grand Prize was both exciting and unbelievably difficult," said Eliot Rausch, Grand Prize winner of the 2010 Vimeo Awards. "This year's finalists were all amazing pieces of cinema, each in their own way, making the process that much harder. I hope Everynone is ready to be busy, because winning this award is going to change their lives."
- The Honorary Award for New Creators, recognizing outstanding achievement from a newcomer in the last 18 months, went to directing duo DANIELS. Daniel Scheinert and Daniel Kwan have directed music videos for bands including Battles, The Shins and Foster the People, and also collected the 2012 Music Video Award for their Manchester Orchestra video, "Simple Math."
- The Honorary Award for Social Change, celebrating a film/campaign that has used the medium of film and the reach of an online community to raise awareness of a global, international or local issue, went to One Day on Earth.
- The Honorary Award for Digital Maverick, spotlighting a pioneering spirit in the world of online video, went to openFrameworks, which is an open source C++ toolkit designed to assist the creative process by providing a simple and intuitive framework for experimentation.
The Vimeo Festival will take place over the next two days on June 8-9, 2012, in New York City at the IAC Headquarters and surrounding area. Speakers including Sundance Grand Jury Prize-winners Ed Burns and Ted Hope, two-time Academy Award nominee Lucy Walker and Awards co-host Reggie Watts will gather to address critical themes such as storytelling, creativity, building an audience and fundraising. Vimeo will host screenings of the winning videos and premiere works including Limbo, a new film by Eliot Rausch, made using grant money from his 2010 Grand Prize award.
For additional information, visit the Vimeo Festival + Awards website, vimeo.com/awards or follow Vimeo on Twitter (@Vimeo and @VimeoFestAwards). The official hashtag for the 2012 Vimeo Festival + Awards is #VimeoFest.
Vimeo® is the home for high-quality videos and the people who love them. With its best-in-class HD player and powerful, easy-to-use tools, Vimeo empowers and inspires people around the world to create, share, and discover videos. Vimeo is one of the world's largest creative networks, with 11 million registered members and a global audience of more than 70MM monthly. Founded in 2004 and based in New York City, Vimeo, LLC is a subsidiary of IAC (NASDAQ: IACI)
SOURCE VimeoBack to top