Life is Good Counters Media Negativity by Celebrating Positive Thinking Day
Activist Adam Foss, Business Titan Madge Meyer, and others join Life is Good to inspire positive thinking
BOSTON, Sept. 12, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- With 90 percent of media and news oversaturated with negative headlines, we are constantly bombarded with pessimism. Positive thinking is an essential tool for combating this steady stream of negativity, and one that Life is Good believes, and a significant body of research demonstrates, has the power to significantly improve our psychological and physical health.
Humans have a natural bias toward negativity. From an evolutionary perspective, our "fight or flight" brains have been wired to process threats and danger before rewards in order to keep us safe. Unfortunately, this means that people pay more attention to adverse emotions and experiences than positive ones. The way that people consume news demonstrates this: a recent study from Outbrain found that the average click-through rate on negative headlines is over 69% higher than their positive counterparts. Because of over-consumption of negative information, it is crucial that we train ourselves to actively seek out and focus on the good that exists all around us.
This Positive Thinking Day (September 13th), Life is Good, which has long stood for spreading the power of optimism, will help counter this negative media. In the form of a live-streamed panel, the brand will showcase some of the most powerfully optimistic stories to inspire others to seek out the good in their own lives.
"We designed our first Life is Good T-shirt almost 25 years ago after a highway conversation about the daily flood of negative news stories," said John Jacobs, co-founder, Life is Good. "At the time, it was a fun way to help people focus on the good. Over the years, our customers taught us the depth of those 3 simple words, the power of optimism and how positive thinking can help us all- especially in times of adversity. In today's climate, it's more important than ever to celebrate good people and their inspiring stories. What we focus on grows."
THE PANEL OF POSITIVE THINKERS
Life is Good has gathered a panel of game changing speakers to share their experiences of embracing positive thinking. The mission: teach people sustainable ways to incorporate positive thinking into their everyday lives. The speakers will show that by choosing to focus on the opportunities rather than the obstacles, optimism and positive thinking can enable us to explore the world with an eye toward solutions, progress and growth. From 7-9pm, the panel event will be streamed live on Facebook from the Life is Good Tavern.
The panel – comprised of business leaders, artists and storytellers – will include:
- Adam Foss, named Nelson Mandela Changemaker of the Year and one of this year's Most Creative People in Business by Fast Company for his advocacy for criminal justice reform to end mass incarceration;
- Madge Meyer, an award-winning author, public speaker, and personal entrepreneur of Madge Meyer Consulting, LLC. Madge started her career as the only female software developer on her team working for IBM on their NASA Space Program. Through a career filled with grit, innovation, and positivity, she became the first Chinese woman to serve as Executive Vice President at State Street Corporation;
- Anna King, Heart Transplant Recipient & Passionate Organ Donor Advocate who started the "Humor Heals the Heart" movement at the age of 12; now an active and healthy high school senior, looking at colleges and a future made possible through the love of an organ donor;
- Ruthie Lindsey, a speaker and inspiring social media personality, who motivates audiences with her story about living a rich, beautiful life in the midst of chronic pain;
- Branden Harvey, digital activist transforming the social media landscape with positive storytelling and news reporting; founder of the Goodnewspaper and Sounds Good Podcast, which both feature hopeful conversations with world changers about how they use their influence for good.
Optimism is a choice you can make every day. Life is Good will be encouraging you to share your positive thoughts throughout September, with the hashtag #PositiveThinkingDay. Look out for a few surprises along the way!
About Life is Good
Bert and his brother John launched their business with $78 in their pockets, selling T-shirts in the streets of Boston. Today, Life is Good is a $100 million positive lifestyle brand sold by over 2,000 retailers across the US and Canada with the mission to spread the power of optimism. Early on, Bert and John were inspired by stories of people, mainly children, facing great adversity. These stories illustrated that optimism is most powerful in the darkest of times and inspired the creation of a fully integrated business model dedicated to helping kids in need. Life is Good donates at least 10% of its annual net profits to the Life is Good Kids Foundation to positively impact over 1 million kids every year facing poverty, violence, and illness.
SOURCE Life is GoodBack to top